A fun brief of my days in New York City!

Monday, July 28, 2008

MadLindsCan

What an extraordinary trio: Lindsey, Candace & Madison. All together in New York City for one short weekend. The past Thursday thru Sunday rocked my socks.

The ladies landed on Thursday night and we grabbed a bite at Agave in the West Village. Really great Mexican food. Highly recommend. It was really fun just to see them again. I couldn't help myself, I totally squeeled and ran to them when I saw them outside the dorm. What a dork, but I was just so excited! At dinner we just chilled and talked, followed by an excursion to Magnolia Bakery that ended up a failure. I took a wrong turn down Bleeker and we never found it...but we did make it to Chelsea Pier (intentionally!). Yes, I always take my guests to Chelsea Pier. It's so pretty and you can see the Statue of Liberty. So there. We got a free show too. Some crazy man, maybe homeless, it was questionable, definitely crazy though, was completely going off on anyone willing to fight with him. His phrase "I got my own" apparently meant "I got my own gun" to Lindsey and Candace because they got pretty freaked out and "feared for their lives." Haha, in other words, maybe not the safest place for 3 young women long after dark... But definitely memorable! Welcome to New York!

Friday was spent shopping! It was nice being a tour guide of sorts, but not having to run around to all the tourist destinations. I mostly just pointed out anything special along the way, I felt so knowledgeable (haha...). We made our way up 5th Ave from Union Square and ended at Tiffany's. That was the major highlight I would say.

We had dinner reservations to keep so we rushed back to the dorm, dressed ourselves up and went straight back uptown because we had to visit the Museum of Modern Art before dinner (free Friday nights!). Of course we looked very glamorous amongst the hoards of people.

Aside: Apparently a foreign couple at the museum was a little obsessed with my hair. Candace and Lindsey watched as they argued over whether the color is natural or fake, while the man made numerous hand gestures around the back of my head... FYI: It's all natural, baby!

We were a little distracted by the number of people there, but we still saw some amazing works by artists: Monet, Picasso, Da Vinci, Pollock (to name a few). It was strange to see before your very eyes works of art that you've before only adored from the view of a picture or television screen. Right in front of you. Makes you kinda love this New York place.

Dinner at Frederick's Downtown was a part of our plan to experience New York Restaurant Week. I can't say it turned out quite as well as we had hoped: the restaurant was hard to find, a bit snooty (despite how gorgeous we all are), and wanted us to starve for a good 20 minutes. It got better though once we did receive some sustenance. After that point our spirits lifted and we were enjoying ourselves again.

For a little while. After dinner marked the beginning of the foot fiasco. We took a cab home because all of our feet were achin from the many hours of walking throughout the day, but it was dear Candace that was really in trouble. The Dr. is still out on the diagnosis, however, it's serious people. To the point that Saturday and Sunday weren't the easiest for her. I won't dwell on that though, I doubt she would appreciate that.

Saturday we ran down to Times Square and bought last minute discount tickets for Chicago! I was a little stressed out by this method, even though it was my own idea, but it worked flawlessly. Half price tickets and our seats weren't bad! Chicago was fun! We were in the Ambassador Theater, not the biggest theater by any means. I was a little bummed that Linds and Can missed out on the BIG broadway experience, but Chicago was still definitely a good show.

The evening was spent, just Linds and I, at Caroline's on Broadway for dinner and a comedy show. The comedians were all fantastic. I had never been to a real comedy show before and will absolutely be doing that again. I laughed. And laughed. And laughed. So much laughing that I resorted to wiping the uncontrollable tears from eyes with an extra dinner napkin. Classy, I know. It without a doubt makes the list of the best nights I've had here.

Sunday began with brunch at Tavern on the Green. I was going a little crazy beforehand as I worried over reservation issues and being late and the sky deciding to open up and rain as we were leaving. Those things compounded didn't make me very happy. Thank heavens it all worked out though. And brunch was delicious, totally worth the stress! We stuffed ourselves well and then took a little stroll around Central Park. We had a nice break on a few fence posts while we listened to an excellent jazz band perform in the park. The rain had passed and a cool breeze made the excursion delightful.

In an effort to keep Can off her feet as much as possible, we hit the theater for another musical! Only this time, not broadway. Mamma Mia! off broadway may not be as good as the original, but it was still very good in my book. I tend to love most musicals though (with the exception of Hairspray!) so it doesn't take much to please me. Especially when it's ABBA. I mean, who can resist ABBA?

After our dose of Meryl and Pierce we relaxed, eventually leading to a massive take-out order consisting of Mexican, Chinese, and Italian (i.e., pizza) food. The contents of which we all found highly satisfying...

The ladies left this morning. And I've been exhausted all day, so I'm going to bed right now! This post will have pictures added later. I was just very silly all weekend and perpetually left my camera on it's charger at NYU. Once Lindsey uploads her pics I'll steal a few for the blog!

No comments: